>

Saturday, December 12, 2009

IBUP - Brazilian University Institute has drug-dealers among patients

I did published last year about a drug-dealer that was arrested at IPUB's facilities. I live in front of this hospital and some drug addicts of the street I live go there to buy cocaine, pot and who knows what else.
"I don't want to talk to a lunatic." was what I heard from a man that was at the garden where the patients stays during the day. A patient approached him, like they all do asking for a cigarette, and he answered this way in the most drug-dealer dialect and intonation.
When I was going away the man was leaving with a girl talking about a certain amount of money.
The Institute is known at the street, and it is already being spread over Rio de Janeiro, as a "ponto de venda" - place where people buy drugs.
I have talked to a psychiatrist that I know that works there and she said "-Oh! Yes. It comes and goes." as if it was normal and as I showed amazement and said that many of the drug addicts that are being treated at IPUB - they have a special project to treat drug addicts PROJAD - go there to get Zyprexa because it is very expensive and keep on using cocaine and other drugs at the same time.
She said: "Why don't you denounce?"
I beg your pardon?
So it is up to ME to denounce? I have already done it last year and nothing changed. I don't think it's ME who should be denouncing and as a psychiatrist she should be taking care not only of the drug addicts who are being drugged by illegal and legal drugs but the safety of the patients that are there because of a mental problem. Some drug addicts are being diagnosed bipolar and they receive all psychiatric immunity for any action they do because the are... crazy!
It is amazing. The director changed but the politics keeps the same. I wonder how much money do the Institute receives for research with medications for psychiatric problems and if they receive from the illegal drugs.
I have to publish it. This is enough.
I wonder what is happening to the other mental institutions. If this is one of the best in Brazil I don't know what is going on with the others.
I know one hospital from that made the patients clean the place had a terrible food and treatment and those who ran it put the money in their own bank account.
This is not a Brazilian privilege. It is like this in many place around the world.
I believe that IPUB will surely take the necessary steps: they will prevent people that enter the hospital to go to the garden where it is all happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, my friend. After Melanie's experience in the Residential Treatment Center, I'm more than outraged and I've been on the phone, sending letters to every state agency in New York. I feel like I could make a career out of this. In fact, I feel like it has become my 2nd career, and I feel good about that. People just hear mental illness and that stigma is still attached and they don't hear ILLNESS. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I love you for what your doing and I'm going to start doing a lot more. I thought I was doing a lot, it was just the tip of an ice berg. It is horrible. Just horrible. The treatment, the food, the lack of respect and human decency is horrible, especially in this day and age.

Have you ever read, The Suit Cases they Left Behind? They were tearing down an old Mental Institution in New York, and in the attic found old suit cases of former patients. They were able to trace about 10 of them, tell their stories, how they never should have been in there, but ended up staying there for life and showed what was in their suit cases. Very powerful book. Especially, since my Grandfather spent time there.

XXXXXXXXX

Ana said...

Cheryl,
Yes! I wish I could do more. I need more people. I need patients's families that care for their children.
Those who are left at these mental institutions don't have family and those who have are segregated.
I will have to rest alittle now because my back is aacking because of the posture of the computer.
I will answer you properly when I feel better.
It's good to know that I am not alone.
It was necessary to create something away from my country to have my voice heard.