>

Monday, April 20, 2009

American McGee version of Alice in Wonderlands - creepy!


This is the box of American McGee Alice computer game depicting Alice and Cheshire cat.

"Shortly after her second adventure, Alice's house is burned down by a fire, killing her parents, and leaving her as the only survivor. Because of the guilt, she tries to commit suicide (bandages can be seen on her wrists), and becomes catatonic. She is institutionalised in Rutledge Asylum. Years later, the White Rabbit summons Alice to aid a radically altered Wonderland, now under the despotic rule of the Queen of Hearts. The Cheshire Cat serves as Alice's companion throughout the game, frequently appearing to guide her with cryptic comments." (Wikipedia)

No. I will not say that it's an absurd, immoral and that our kids should never been exposed to things like that... blah blah blah...
I haven't play the game and only know by looking at images and reading articles. I don't know what to think about it. Seriously.
I just want to say that I'm amazed how easy it's to find words like institutionalized, catatonic, asylum, suicide and many others. I've been noticing it for a long time and what first came to my attention was on the newspapers phrases like "...economy is schizophrenic; bipolar;..." many psychiatric words being used to describe some situations and events.
I'm loosing focus. My concern is adolescents. Perhaps it's about time to ask them what do they think and how do they feel.

2 comments:

Mariah said...

It's aimed at older teens and adults as a darker, fractured fairy tale.

I personally think it's an interesting concept.

Ana said...

It's interesting but I don't think that even Alice in wonderlands - Lewis Carrol story - is meant to be a fairy tale.